Twerking Must Be STOPPED!

Twerking has been around for a long time. It originated in New Orleans in the early 90's. Although I don't remember twerking that early on, I remember the twerk teams on youtube back in high school and how it was only within the Hip Hop/black community. I even remember the Ying Yang twins' "Whistle While You Twurk" song back in 2000.

So why all the commotion about twerking in 2013? Miley Cyrus made it mainstream by posting some wack video of her twerking even though she was hardly doing any twerking at all. Now everybody think it's cool and even white people hopped on the bandwagon. Miley feels as if she's the queen of twerk using a thick black girl as a prop in her VMAs performance which I as a black woman found very degrading.

At first I could tolerate it, I even twerk in the mirror by myself or with my friends in the comfort of my own home. But I see girls and boys posting videos on vine, youtube and instagram for attention. Where are their minds at? There is a website that collects all the videos of girls twerking all over the US and I'm positive that a huge percentage of these girls are under the age of 18. The comments for these videos are just sick, twerking must be stopped! 

Now I can't even talk to a guy without out them asking me if I can twerk. What used to be a ratchet and disgusting act to plenty of people has now become a household name. Although I find nothing wrong with the dance, why can't we twerk in moderation? Why do we have to prove to everybody that we can clap our butt cheeks? It has become an addiction to many and it must be stopped.

Watch this video and share with everyone you know so we can come together and #stoptwerking


3 comments:

  1. They dont need to stop twerking, twerking is not the problem their attitudes are. A stop twerking movement would only SHAME ppl who like expressing themselves this way, and have every right to, meanwhile leaving the same attitude in tact and simply looking for another outlet to do the most with in lieu of twerking smh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valid point but I feel like if it's not one thing its another. Personally I'm tired of seeing twerking. It will die down soon enough

      Delete
    2. i do agree that the corny way that it is being appropriated and represented IS obnoxious, if i hear one more middle class white girl call something "ratchet"for no reason or say "twerk team" im gonna lose my shit lmao if they're gonna make videos and promo the fuck out of them the LEAST they can do is do it right,it is a cultural expression at the end of the day,even if it did come from poor class folks. Im totally with you on the using of the thick black women as Mileys literal props, that upset me too, its good that at least SOME ppl are seeing through it and calling it out

      Delete