Pursuit of Happiness

They say the best things in life are free, and I couldn't agree with them more. How can I find myself when were trapped in a society where were told what to do. How can I be free when I'm a slave to money. How can I pursue happiness when I'm persuaded to do what it takes to live the American dream. What a damn facade America is. Where we are constantly spending money we don't have to be in debt til death do us part. Not me. I don't want to care about possessions, I've learned through time to be happy without them and as time progresses I've become more dependent on striving to make my spirit happy rather than turning to material things as a form of therapy. Granted, I get sad when I can't afford to buy nice clothes or get my hair done, but I know it is apart of my transformation to becoming the someone that I can't even fathom of being. And the people who I attract in my life to come will be nothing short of amazing and fill my heart with joy and light. I know that for a fact.

As go to work everyday, I feel empty inside as I refill shelves, ring up customers and clean up after them too. It's a constant battle to go to work almost every day, and I really can't wrap my mind around why. Of course everyone goes through this, we all work for corporate America, but I have no idea why I cannot deal. I often compromise not being able to pay rent next week everytime I call out and to be honest, I don't care. I told my friend that I want become the first black woman hitchhiker that I know. Although I was joking, there was some truth in it. Although they make no money, they seem to be the happiest people I've ever seen. I heard some stories about people who are homeless by choice and they too are happy. Not saying I want to drop everything I have and all that I've known to become one with the earth. I just want a part of it, a little piece of true freedom that has been stolen by our culture.

This morning my friend Sheldon and I went on a mini adventure to Williamsburg at the very edge of brooklyn where you can see the Manhattan Bridge. Although it was overcast, it was beautiful. The water crashing on the sand was calming as the warm breeze blew through my body. It was very therapeutic aside from all the chaos NYC has to offer. I loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment